Lindokuhle Cebekhulu and Mbuyiselo were both shot dead in a shoot-out that ensued with the police. Pic: Supplied

In The News South Africa

Pair suspected of killing two Gauteng guards shot dead by cops

PRETORIA, October 23 – Two men allegedly responsible for the killing of two security guards in Gauteng were on Tuesday morning shot and killed by the police as they resisted arrest, spokesperson Vishnu Naidoo said.

Members from the Gauteng Organised Crime Unit, acting on intelligence and supported by various other police units, were led to a shack in the Clermont area, West of Durban.

“‘When police tried to arrest the two suspects, Lindokuhle Cebekhulu (24) and Mbuyiselo Mthonti (26) they resisted, which resulted in both suspects being shot dead,” said Naidoo.

“There are no reports of any police officers being injured at this stage.”

Reaction officers for 24/7 Security Services Eric Ngobese and Boykie Moyo were gunned down on October 10, near Maponya Mall in Soweto, south of Johannesburg, while they were deployed as part of a team providing specialised security services for a national financial institution.

Police said their service firearms were stolen from them.

“Crime Intelligence and Gauteng Organised Crime Unit worked tirelessly over these past two weeks to track down the culprits,” said Naidoo.

The incident was captured by a dashboard camera in the guards’ vehicle, and the video went viral, sparking widespread condemnation on the cold-blooded murder.

Last week, the Private Security Industry Regulatory Authority (PSiRA) on condemned the recent string of an “unbridled killing spree of security guards in different parts of South Africa”.

At the time, PSiRA chief executive Manabela Chauke appealed to South African communities to assist police the intense efforts to track down the killers of Ngobese and Moyo. (ANA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *