Former IPID head Robert McBride File photo: ANA Reporter

In The News South Africa

McBride testimony at state capture commission postponed again

JOHANNESBURG, April 8 – Long-awaited testimony from former IPID head Robert McBride was postponed at the state capture commission on Monday due to parties implicated in his evidence not having been notified by the commission as per its rules.

Commission’s legal team head Advocate Paul Pretorius said 30 to 50 notices to those implicated by McBride have been prepared and would be sent out Monday.

McBride’s evidence, set to shed light on the alleged capture of law enforcement authorities, was previously delayed in February due to implicated persons having not been notified. Some of those implicated by McBride are reportedly high ranking officials in the law enforcement and justice cluster.

Commission chairman Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo was not impressed, saying the commission does not have ample time to complete its work.

”A postponement was done on February 8 for implicated persons to be notified. The legal team failed for over a period of 6 weeks to do so…that is not acceptable. I appreciate that the legal team works hard and is very busy, but this excuse cannot be acceptable. I hope, with measures being put in place, this will not happen again.”

Zondo postponed McBride’s testimony to Thursday.

According to the commission’s rules, notices should be sent to implicated persons before a witness can give testimony. Pretorius told Zondo that it was his and the legal team’s fault and that they take full responsibility for not sending out notices.

McBride was replaced by Victor Ofenste Senna after his five-year contract ended in February.

The former police watchdog boss was not at the commission on Monday. (ANA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *