The ANC has until today to respond to the Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) which has received dozens of submissions objecting to the lists of candidates submitted by the party.
In its letter addressed to the ANC, the IEC says the submissions it received pertain to conduct carried out by the listed candidates who are perceived as “being unbecoming of persons who want to become or continue to be office bearers in Parliament and the provincial legislatures”.
The ANC has been under severe public and internal pressure to clean up the party’s election list before the May 8 national polls. The IEC says those it has received objections against face allegations of corruption “as a result of the ongoing revelations as canvassed via the Zondo Commission, various court cases and information provided via news agencies and social media”. The commission also says objections were raised as a result of “allegations of criminal acts carried out by some members who have been accused of, inter alia, theft, fraud and rape”.
Among prominent members of the ANC the IEC says it has received objections are Deputy President David Mabuza accused of political murders and corruption during his tenure as Mpumalanga premier, ANC national chairperson and Mineral Resources Minister Gwede Mantashe who was named in Bosasa scandal; head of the ANC’s presidency office Zizi Kodwa, who has been accused by a woman of drugging and raping her at an upmarket hotel room in Sandton last year; Minister of Women in the Presidency Bathabile Dlamini, who has a damning judgment against her for misleading the Constitutional Court; Environmental Affairs Minister Nomvula Mokonyane, who has been named in the state capture commission as a politician who allegedly benefited from a corrupt relationship with Bosasa and former Home Affairs minister Malusi Gigaba, who was allegedly at the centre of the state capture project and also has a damning court judgment against him.
Also featuring in the IEC list are senior ANC MP Vincent Smith accused of receiving cash and benefits to the tune of R870 000 from Bosasa in 2015 and 2016 through Angelo Agrizzi, then chief operations officer at Bosasa; Minister of Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Zweli Mkhize; Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga; former Mineral Resources Minister Msebenzi Zwane; former State Security ministers Bongani Bongo and David Mahlobo; former Energy Minister Tina Joemat-Pettersson and former communications minister Faith Muthambi.
Meanwhile Africa News 24-7 has reliably been informed that Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has met with the IEC to object against ANC candidates who have been found to have failed to implement her remedial actions. Remedial action of the Public Protector is binding unless interdicted and taken on judicial review to be to set aside by court of law.
Those who feature prominently on the ANC list of candidates who Mkhwebane is targeting include Police Minister Bheki Cele; Higher Education and Training Minister Naledi Pandor; former Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba; ANC Elections Head and former Police Minister Fikile Mbalula and Minister of Defence Nosiviwe Mapisa-Ngqakula.