The two suspects - 27-year-old Enerst Mabaso and 61-year-old Fita Khupe - accused of the murder of seven family members of the Khoza family at their Vlakfontein home will spend the week behind bars after Lenasia Magistrate Maggie Van Der Merwe postponed the matter on Monday. Picture: ANA

In The News South Africa

Suspects in Khoza family murder to stay behind bars

JOHANNESBURG, December 12 – The two suspects in the murder of seven members of the Khoza family will spend Christmas behind bars.

Fita Khupe, 61, and Vusi Mabaso, 27, were arrested after police discovered the bodies of four children and three adults buried at their home in Vlakfontein in southern Johannesburg in October.

Police sergeant Banele Ndlovu told the two men’s bail hearing that it would be a danger to society if they would be granted bail.

Previously Mabaso, who also faces three additional charges of rape, asked the court if he could be moved from the Johannesburg Central police station’s holding cells as he had been receiving threats from his co-accused. Mabaso was moved to Krugersdorp Prison.

Mabaso claims the killings were a revenge attack on the Khoza family by Khupe.

Tebogo Lekotje, the father of 13-year-old Karabo who was among the victims, said he was relieved that the suspects would stay behind bars.

“It is sad that we will spend the first Christmas without Karabo, we were planning to go to Free State this holiday but I’m not going anymore since she (is) no longer with me,” Lekotje said.

The matter has been postponed to January 24. (ANA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *