Jakarta – More than 1,000 people in the Indonesian village of Balaroa may still be missing after their homes were swallowed by mud following last week’s earthquake, a spokesman for the National Search and Rescue Agency says.
International aid efforts picked up speed on Friday as the death toll from earthquakes and a tsunami that hit Indonesia’s Sulawesi island on September 28 reached 1,558, officials said.
“Aid continues to come in but not all displaced people have received assistance properly because of damaged infrastructure,” National Disaster Management Agency spokesman Sutopo Nugroho said.
“All parties are trying to fix this,” he said.
An Australian air force C-130 Hercules carrying clothes, bedding, tools, tarpaulins and food, arrived at the airport in Balikpapan on Borneo island on Thursday, local television reported.
The supplies will be delivered to the quake-hit zone on Friday, Australian ambassador to Indonesia Gary Quinlan said.
More foreign aircraft carrying relief aid were scheduled to land later in the day, the Air Force said.
Eleven countries including the United States and Britain were sending 20 aircraft to the quake-hit region.
Indonesia has accepted assistance from 17 countries, even though more than two dozen countries have offered to send aid.
The country only accepts aid in the form of air transport, tents, water treatment facilities, generators and field hospitals from foreign countries, the disaster agency said. (dpa)