JOHANNESBURG, August 8 – Some 74,000 parents in Gauteng have accepted school offers of places for their children for the 2019 academic year, the province’s member of the executive committee for education Panyaza Lesufi said on Wednesday.
Lesufi said 120,000 parents still needed to accept offers and had seven working days to do so, before the places were forfeited.
He said the department had received 150,000 applications for grade one places, and around 133,000 for grade eight. Some 195,000 learners had already been offered places at schools.
Most of the feedback from parents about the online admissions system had been positive, with almost 300,000 people using it, said Lesufi.
“The good thing with the online application is that we can account for every application. There is fairness, clear security and no one is disadvantaged,” he said.
– African News Agency (ANA)