Deputy Minister of Higher Education Mduduzi Manana leaves the Randburg Magistrate's Court following court proceedings on Thursday. PHOTO: Lindi Masinga/ANA

Lead South Africa

Former MP Manana has ‘taken full responsibility for his actions’ – ANC

CAPE TOWN, July 25 – The Office of the African National Congress (ANC) Chief Whip has wished former ANC MP Mduduzi Manana well after he submitted his resignation from Parliament with immediate effect on Tuesday.

In a statement, ANC Chief Whip Jackson Mthembu said: “His voluntary resignation from Parliament, coupled with his resignation from the Executive in 2017, is indicative of someone who has taken full responsibility and has shown remorse for his actions relating to his involvement in a gender-based violence case where a court of law found him guilty.”

Parliament’s Joint Ethics Committee was expected to begin an inquiry into his conduct on Wednesday but that will no longer proceed.

Manana was convicted of three counts of assault with intent to do grievous bodily harm in September 2017 and subsequently resigned from his position as Deputy Minister of Higher Education and Training. This followed an incident at the Cubana restaurant in Fourways‚ Johannesburg‚ last year.

In a separate incident two months ago, Manana’s domestic worker Christine Wiro laid assault charges against him. An audio recording surfaced in which Manana is heard offering Wiro a large sum of money as “consolation” in exchange for dropping assault charges against him.

However, on Monday, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said that that it declined to prosecute him for the alleged abuse of Wiro, as they believed that there were no reasonable prospects for a successful prosecution.

In a statement on his Facebook page, Manana said he welcomed the NPA’s decision and felt “totally exonerated”. (ANA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *