CAPE TOWN, June 11 – Two people died in a shooting incident at a house in Lotus River in Cape Town on Monday morning in what is believed to be a murder-suicide.
The City of Cape Town confirmed that the alleged shooter had previously worked as an auxiliary officer in a reservist programme but had not been on duty for months.
A statement from Richard Bosman, executive director of safety and security, said the City had been made aware of the “tragic events that unfolded in Lotus River this morning, where two people died in a shooting incident”.
“We are shocked and saddened by these events and we extend our deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victims,” Bosman said.
“The City would like to point out, for the record, that the alleged shooter had previously been involved with the Volunteer Law Enforcement Auxiliary Service. The reservist programme required members to complete a minimum of 16 hours of service per month.
“The former auxiliary officer had not conducted any duties in this capacity for at least six months and was thus no longer considered an active member.”
Bosman added that the incident was the subject of investigations by the South African Police Service and that the City would assist if required.
– African News Agency (ANA)