Beijing, May 31 – China on Thursday said the door to negotiations with the United States is “always open,” after the U.S. announced plans to impose new tariffs on 50 billion dollars worth of Chinese goods earlier this week.
The White House made the unexpected announcement on Tuesday, saying the tariffs would be imposed on a list of products to be issued by June 15, in a tactical move ahead of U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross’s visit to Beijing this weekend.
Ministry of Commerce spokesman Gao Feng said in a statement that the door to China’s negotiations is always open.
“We have always believed that China and the United States have extensive common interests and broad space for cooperation in the economic and trade field.
“They should seek common ground while reserving differences and achieve win-win cooperation,’’ Gao added.
According to Gao, a team of over 50 U.S. representatives arrived in Beijing on Wednesday, ahead of the arrival of Ross this weekend.
Gao said he hoped the team would be able to “meet China halfway.”