FILE PHOTO: ANA

In The News South Africa Sport

Several people in Durban court for Moses Mabhida Stadium violence

JOHANNESBURG, May 25 – Several people are expected to appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Friday, in connection with the violence that occurred at the Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban on April 21, which saw 18 people injured and R2.6 million in damages reported when soccer fans went on the rampage.

On May 8, police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbhele said that three people appeared in court facing charges of public violence. Mbhele said Cebolendoda Hadebe, 21, Douglas Mhlaliseni Mkhize, 42, and Lungigani Gabriel Jaca, 33, were released on bail of R1,000 each.

“We are encouraging the outstanding suspects to contact our investigating officers immediately before our police officers pounce on them. We are once again appealing to injured victims to also come forward as we still require their statements,” said Mbhele.

The case against the trio was remanded to May 25, when they will appear together with four other co-accused who had appeared previously on the same charges.

On April 21, more than 20 people were injured when fans stormed the pitch and went on a rampage when Kaizer Chiefs lost to Free State Stars in the Nedbank Cup semi-final.

ANA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *