In The News International

SA recalls Ambassador to Israel, urges Israeli forces to withdraw from Gaza

PRETORIA,  May 15 (ANA) – The South African government on Monday, withdrew its representative in Israel after the deadly attacks in which Israeli forces killed at least 41 Palestinians along the Gaza border.

“Given the indiscriminate and grave manner of the latest Israeli attack, the South African government has taken a decision to recall Ambassador Sisa Ngombane with immediate effect until further notice,” said South Africa’s department of international relations and cooperation (Dirco).

“The South African government condemns in the strongest terms possible the latest act of violent aggression carried out by Israeli armed forces along the Gaza border, which has led to the deaths of over 40 civilians. The victims were taking part in a peaceful protest against the provocative inauguration of the US embassy in Jerusalem.”

The South African government said it “condemns in the strongest terms possible” the latest act of violent aggression carried out by Israeli armed forces along the Gaza border.

“The victims were taking part in a peaceful protest against the provocative inauguration of the US embassy in Jerusalem. This latest attack has resulted in scores of other Palestinian citizens reported injured, and the wanton destruction of property,” said the statement from Dirco.

Dirco reiterated its view that the Israeli Defence Force must withdraw from the Gaza Strip “and bring to an end the violent and destructive incursions into Palestinian territories”.

South Africa maintains further that the violence in the Gaza Strip will stand in the way of rebuilding Palestinian institutions and infrastructure.

“The routine actions of the Israeli armed forces present yet another obstacle to a permanent resolution to the conflict, which must come in the form of two states, Palestine and Israel, existing side-by-side and in peace,” said Dirco.

“Like other members of the international community, South Africa is disturbed by the latest deadly aggression and reiterates calls made by several member states of the United Nations for an independent inquiry into the killings, with a view to holding to account those who are responsible.”

Palestinian officials on Monday said at least 52 people have been killed in the latest round of protests. At least 1,700 Palestinian demonstrators were reportedly wounded on Monday along the border fence with Gaza as the mass protests that began on March 30 and that had already left dozens dead erupted anew.

The protests took place as the United States Embassy was formally relocated to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv, on the 70th anniversary of the formation of Israel.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *