Nothing has changed. Football remains the stepchild of Cape Town sport. Pic: Twitter

In The News South Africa Sport

City crush Chippa to get back on winning trail, win 2-0

CAPE TOWN, March 3 (ANA) – Cape Town City ended their miserable run of four consecutive league losses, as they outplayed Chippa United 2-0 in an Absa Premiership match played at the Athlon Stadium in Cape Town on Friday evening.

Ayanda Patosi gave the home side the lead in the 25th minute when he powered home a long-range right-footed shot past the full-stretched figure of Chippa goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi.

Long range goals were the order of the night, as Akpeyi was beaten again on the stroke of half-time when Lyle Lakay unleashed a left-footed free kick that did enough to curl past the diving goalkeeper’s right arm.

Chippa, who had their six-game unbeaten run ended in a 4-2 loss to Orlando Pirates in Port Elizabeth last weekend, battled to make their presence felt in midfield, with City looking a much better side than in their previous outings against Bidvest WIts and Baroka.

Despite the return from injury of fullbacks in Fares Hachi and Zitha Macheke, the Chippa back four looked brittle to say the least, and could well have conceded more goals had City taken their chances.

City, who started the game having dropped to seventh position on the league table, will only be too happy to collect the three points at home. They move to 34 points from 24 games. On Wednesday, they will return to CAF Confederation Cup action, when they face Mozambican club Costa do Sal in a first round, first leg fixture.

Chippa, with 5 draws and a loss in their past 6 games, remain on 27 points from 23 games.


In Johannesburg, Bidvest Wits extended their unbeaten league run to eight games with a 1-1 draw against Baroka FC at the Bidvest Stadium on Friday night.

The defending champions’ early season troubles appear to be behind them as they cemented their top-eight spot with another point after Sifiso Myeni’s early goal was cancelled out by a penalty late in the first half from Bakgaga’s attacking midfielder Gift Motupa.
The Clever Boys made the early running on their home turf in Johannesburg and were rewarded for their bright start in the 10th minute when Myeni fired in a volley after a flick-on from Thulani Hlatshwayo.
Baroka had a good chance to equalise on the half-hour mark but home keeper Darren Keet did well to keep out Motupa, who had pounced on a rebound.
But Motupa was to have the beating of Keet, from the penalty spot, as he levelled the score on 41 minutes after Daylon Claasen had conceded the spot kick.
After a tight start to the second half, the hosts thought they should have been given a penalty in the 64th minute when Abednego Mosiatlhaga burst into the box and went down under a challenge, but the referee saw otherwise.
Mosiatlhaga also created a late chance when he found Eleazar Rodgers in the box in the 87th minute, but the latter’s shot was deflected for a corner.
That proved to be the last major action as the men from the Limpopo took away a point to extend their own unbeaten league run to four matches. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *