ANC deputy secretary Jessie Duarte flanked by party spokesman Zizi Kodwa briefs journalists on credentials that had to be postponed to second day of conference. PHOTO: Getrude Makhafola/ANA

Lead South Africa

Ndebele report on Eastern Cape conference ready: ANC

JOHANNESBURG, March 2  – A report on the legitimacy of the ANC Eastern Cape’s chaotic conference that saw Oscar Mabuyane elected as chairman last year would soon be presented to party top brass, said deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte on Thursday.

”The report was finalised by Sbu Ndebele and presented to the secretary general [Ace Magashule], we will take it through the ANC processes. Recommendations of the report would then be discussed with the leadership of the ANC in the Eastern Cape, and we would then discuss how those recommendations would be implemented…we cannot discuss the recommendations with the media until all that has been done in our structures,” said Duarte.
She brushed aside Tuesday’s Daily Dispatch newspaper report on the leaked investigation outcome. Duarte said she doubted the leaked document was authentic as there was only one copy that was eventually handed over to Magashule. According to the Daily Dispatch, the Ndebele report recommended that the elected provincial leadership be disbanded, and that a task team be appointed to head the province until a fresh elective conference is held within three months.
A panel led by former KwaZulu-Natal premier Sbu Ndebele investigated irregularities that plagued the October provincial conference. The conference went ahead despite the outbreak of violence inside the venue that saw a number of delegates backing Premier Phumulo Masualle to retain the provincial chairmanship storming out of the conference.
The Eastern Cape was one of the problem-plagued provinces where provincial conference outcomes were challenged in courts ahead of the December national elective conference held at Nasrec.

 

Former African National Congress (ANC) presidents such as Jacob Zuma, Kgalema Motlanthe and Thabo Mbeki will be roped in at Luthuli House to assist the governing party ahead of the 2019 general elections.

The party had resolved at its elective conference last year to deploy more staff on a full-time basis at its headquarters in Johannesburg.

”We are strengthening political education and cadre deployment. We will be inviting former presidents of the ANC to assist us. We will be approaching the presidents, to ensure they are part of the body politic as we strengthen, renew and unite the ANC,” secretary general Ace Magashule told reporters in Johannesburg.

The party faces the mammoth task of reclaiming lost ground following the bruising 2016 local government elections where it lost control of three key municipal metros to opposition parties.

The full-time officials include former police minister Fikile Mbalula who is head of elections, former party spokesman Zizi Kodwa who is taking over as head of the ANC presidency, and Senzo Mchunu, the former KwaZulu-Natal premier who now heads the organising committee.

Kodwa said as in accordance with the party resolutions, deployment of ANC members to government would be reduced in order to boost capacity at Luthuli House.

”You will from now on see more of members of the national executive committee here at the head office. It is our long held view that we need capacity at Luthuli House and drive agenda and programmes of the organisation. A strong team has been assembled here as you can see, to lead us towards an overwhelming victory in 2019,” he said.

The party has billed 2018 as a year of renewal and unity, and aims to ”correct its wrongs and reconnect with the people.”

ANA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *