CAPE TOWN, March 1 – South African power utility, Eskom, on Thursday announced the resignation of suspended former interim chief executive Sean Maritz.
In a statement, Eskom said it received a resignation letter from Maritz, who was suspended as group executive for information technology on Thursday.
“Mr Maritz’s resignation comes against the backdrop of serious charges of misconduct that were levelled against him, that would have been adjudicated at his disciplinary hearing scheduled for 8 – 9 March 2018,” the statement said.
“The disciplinary process to hold Mr Maritz to account for any proven wrongdoing can no longer be pursued in light of clear legal precedent that a resignation by an employee unilaterally terminates the employment relationship. Eskom has, as a result, accepted Mr Maritz’s resignation with immediate effect.”
Eskom has however said it reserved its right to institute civil proceedings against Maritz for any damages Eskom might have suffered as a result of his action, “and to enforce its legal rights under the Pension Funds Act”.
Maritz was placed on permanent suspension in January after he signed a letter to advisory firm McKinsey authorising a controversial R1 billion payment.
A week before his suspension, Maritz sent a letter to McKinsey to confirm that the contract the power utility had with the firm was legal, this despite Eskom last year threatening legal action to recoup the money.