JOHANNESBURG, February 22 – The bodies of two schoolgirls have been recovered and another 76 rescued by the Nigerian military after the students went missing during an attack by Boko Haram on a village, Reuters reported.
The Islamist insurgent group attacked Dapchi village in the north-eastern state of Yobe on Monday evening.
The bodies were recovered on Wednesday according to parents, a resident and a local government official and the rescued girls were returned to Dapchi late on Wednesday evening.
Despite the rescue at least another 13 students may still be missing after it was reported that 91 people were unaccounted for following a roll-call at their school on Tuesday.
However, police and state officials said on Wednesday that there was no evidence that the girls had been abducted, though the Yobe government later said in a statement that the military had rescued some of the students from Boko Haram.
The contradictory statements are part of an effort by the Nigerian authorities to either deny or downplay such incidents, including the infamous 2014 kidnapping of over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok as well as other recent abductions.