JOHANNESBURG, February 13 – Sibanye-Stillwater said on Tuesday a worker had died on Monday night while clearing a blocked ore pass at its Driefontein operations, less than a week after a fall of rocks at its Kloof Mine killed two people.
The National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) said it was angry at the rate in which miners were losing their lives at the company, and called for the prosecution of top management should negligence be proven.
Sibanye-Stillwater said investigations into the latest incident by management together with the department of mineral resources (DMR) and other relevant stakeholders were underway.
“Operations in the affected area have been suspended (pending) the investigation into the incident,” it said.
Last week, two workers died as a result of fall of rocks at Sibanye-Stillwater’s Kloof Mine. Two weeks ago, 955 miners were trapped underground at its Beatrix gold mine following a power failure after a severe storm.
“The fatalities that are happening at Sibanye Stillwater are a sign of serious lack of care for black mineworkers especially when there is lip service from the industry that says one life is a life too many,” NUM health and safety chairperson Peter Bailey said.
“The NUM appeals to the DMR to do a thorough investigation into the allegations of negligence and to take appropriate action.”
– African News Agency (ANA)