In The News South Africa

Under fire Cape Town Mayor De Lille says bribery charge is ‘hogwash’

JOHANNESBURG, February 8 – Under fire Cape Town Mayor Patricia De Lille on Wednesday said she had been informed that a criminal complaint against her had been laid with the police regarding allegations of soliciting a R5 million bribe – something she has flatly rejected as “hogwash”.

De Lille, who already has the threat of a no-confidence vote hanging over her head, has been slapped with a bribery charge by her own Democratic Alliance (DA) party.

“I have now been informed by the SA Police Service that a criminal complaint has been laid against me by the federal leadership of the Democratic Alliance pertaining to an alleged solicitation of a bribe from a Mr Anthony Faul in January 2013,” said De Lille.

“My lawyers and I were afforded an opportunity to respond to this new allegation by the Party but given that emails had to be collected checked we were unable to do so within the very short time permitted.

“The DA then rushed off to the police with the allegation and immediately thereafter went on a concerted campaign of distributing the message to all and sundry that I am corrupt.

“With the motion of no-confidence against me to be debated next week Thursday, 15 February 2018, the timing of this latest effort to discredit me is most unfortunate.”

On Monday, James Selfe, the DA Federal Executive chairman, said he had laid bribery charges against the mayor after he received “an affidavit from a member of the public who alleged there had been a request on the part of Miss De Lille for a gratification some years ago. We have drawn that attention to Miss De Lille’s lawyers before we laid the charge.”

However, De Lille rejects the allegations that she solicited a bribe in a failed deal involving 1,000 fire extinguishers, saying the allegations were false and a ruse to hasten the speed of removing her from the mayoral position.

“It is a pity that this well-intentioned project was then jettisoned. But needless to say, the allegation he makes that I tried to make him pay me R5 million is utter hogwash.”

– African News Agency (ANA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *