SABC employees embarked on a strike last month FILE PHOTO

In The News South Africa

Unions threaten to resume strike at SABC

JOHANNESBURG, December 12 – Trade unions at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Monday threatened to resume their strike against the proposed salary increment following another impasse with the employer.

The public broadcaster met with the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media and Allied Workers Union (Bemawu) last week on Friday and with the Communications Workers Union (CWU) on Monday wherein a revised offer was communicated to them.
Last month, the two unions went on strike after demanding a 10 percent increase for workers across the board, backdated to April 2017, but the cash-strapped SABC stood firm on its “zero percent offer”. Following negotiations, the CWU then called off the strike because of “legal technicalities” that needed to be ironed out.
But on this round of negotiations, the SABC offered both unions a 4.5 percent increase for the last six months of the financial year 2017/2018 for employees in the bargaining unit to be paid at a later stage, when the organisation is financially stable.
Following this meetings, the unions then met with their members to provide them with the feedback, and the members declined the offer.
“It is regrettable to note that both Bemawu and CWU members declined the SABC’s offer and have decided to proceed with their strike action on Thursday,” SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said in a statement.
“This strike action will coincide with the broadcast of the 54th National Conference of the African National Congress (ANC). The SABC would like to assure the public that all the necessary measures will be put in place to make sure that the conference will be broadcast to the public of South Africa as planned.”
Kganyago said the SABC would like to urge all employees who are not striking to report for duty, as per their condition of employment.
“The organization also calls upon the striking employees not to intimidate their colleagues, who will be coming to work and proceed with their action in a dignified manner.  It is important to note that the principle of no work, no pay will apply,” Kganyago said.
“The board and management reiterates their commitment that programmes on radio and television will be transmitted as planned. The SABC management will continue engaging with the unions to try and resolve this impasse.”
African News Agency (ANA)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *