In The News South Africa

Four Mpumalanga kidnap and murder accused await sentencing

CAPE TOWN, August 22 – Four men found guilty of the kidnapping and murder of two men in Middelburg in Mpumalanga are set to hear their fate soon.

 

Police spokesperson, Brigadier Leonard Hlathi, said the four men – Thabang Elvis Nthako, 36, Samson Bhuti Makuwa, 25, George Maswanganyi, 27, and Bheki David Mokoena, 33 – were found guilty by the Circuit of the Pretoria High Court, sitting in Middelburg.

 

The men were arrested in November 2014, after police found Nthako driving a motor vehicle belonging to a murder victim, 50-year-old Phillip Daniel Monkwe, who had previously been reported missing.

 

A police investigation led to the arrest of the other three after it emerged that Monkwe had given the accused a lift, when along the way, they held him at gunpoint and instructed him to drive in the direction of an old mine shaft.

 

Hlathi said upon arrival, Monkwe was blindfolded, forced out the vehicle, placed near the mine shaft, which was about 45 meters deep, and then told to jump into the shaft, where he fell to his death.

 

During the investigation and the pointing out of the crime scene, and while police were retrieving Monkwe’s remains, police discovered another body which was later identified as that of David Vusi Majola, 39, who had also been reported missing. The four men were later linked to the death of  Majola, who after being hijacked, had been thrown down the same mine shaft.

 

The accused are scheduled to appear again before the same court for sentencing on Monday, 28 August 2017, on the charges of kidnapping, robbery with aggravating circumstances and murder.

 

– African News Agency (ANA) 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *