Twenty-one drug suspects were killed overnight in a
series of police operations in a province just north of the
Philippine capital, police said Tuesday.
Police also arrested 64 suspects in the “big-time” operation against
illegal drugs in Bulacan province from Monday night to Tuesday
morning, said Superintendent Romeo Caramat, the provincial police
More than 1 kilo of methamphetamine hydrochloride and 21 firearms
were seized from the suspects, Caramat said.
The slain suspects all fought back as they were being arrested,
prompting police to shoot at them, he added.
Last month, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte vowed that his
aggressive campaign against illegal drugs will not ease despite
criticism over the rising death toll.
More than 3,000 suspects have been killed in anti-drug operations
since Duterte became president on June 30, 2016, according to police
Police are also investigating the deaths of nearly 11,000 other
people to determine if their killings were related to illegal drugs
and carried out by hired or vigilante killers.