ABUJA, August 8 — Terror group Boko Haram wreaked havoc in Nigeria’s north-eastern state of Borno, killing at least 31 fishermen in two separate attacks, local officials confirmed on Tuesday.
The attacks on Baga, a fishing community in violence-torn Borno State, was carried out between last Saturday and Sunday, Kashim Shettima, governor of the state said.
According to the official, the recent development showed that the Boko Haram group was still unleashing terror, killing and maiming people in Nigeria’s northeast region, and within the Lake Chad Basin.
Fourteen persons were killed in the first attack on Saturday while some 17 others were killed in the second attack on Sunday, another official said.
Shettima told reporters that even in his own capacity as the state governor, he only got the information about the attacks early Tuesday.
This, according to him, explains why the military and other security agencies were yet to comment on the report.
He described the attacks as “inhuman,” regretting that the acts continued in the Lake Chad Basin despite the joint military efforts of the countries in that sub-region.
The latest Boko Haram attacks came almost four weeks after the military had lifted the ban on fishing activities in Baga. The Nigerian military had earlier placed a ban on fishing in the area, due to allegations that Boko Haram was using proceeds from fishing to fund its armed campaign.
Thousands of local fishermen who earned their living in the area had just returned there to continue their activities.
Boko Haram has killed more than 20,000 and displaced 2.3 million people in its attacks since 2009.