In The News South Africa

Motsoeneng has been fired – SABC board

JOHANNESBURG, June 12– Former SABC chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been fired following a recommendation by the chairperson of a disciplinary panel, SABC interim board chairwoman Khanyisile Kweyama announced on Monday.

SABC chairwoman Khanyisile Kweyama announced that former COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been dismissed after a disciplinary hearing. PHOTO: Getrude Makhafola/ANA

Kweyama said Motsoeneng had been informed about the outcome of the disciplinary hearing.

“The recommendations by the chair of the hearing that he be dismissed has been accepted by the board. He was found guilty of misconduct and breaking the conditions of his contract,” Kweyama told reporters at the SABC headquarters in Auckland Park, Johannesburg.

Earlier, Motsoeneng’s legal representative, Zola Majavu, said neither he nor his client had received the hearing outcome. News of his dismissal was being reported by various media houses since Monday morning.

The beleaguered Motsoeneng faced charges relating to an unauthorised media briefing he held two months ago in which he criticised the SABC interim board and praised himself on the good work he said he did while at the public broadcaster.

Motsoeneng’s fight with the SABC was dealt a further blow two weeks ago when his attempt to stop the disciplinary proceedings against him was thrown out by the Labour Court.

Various courts had previously found Motsoeneng’s appointment as COO to be unlawful.

A ruling by the Western Cape High Court in December last year found that he was unfit to hold any office until such time a fresh disciplinary hearing cleared him of any wrongdoing, or if a court set aside the Public Protector’s report which implicated him in lying about his academic qualifications, purging staff, and giving himself generous salary increases.

These allegations would form the basis of another disciplinary process against him.

The SABC rescinded its decision to take the Public Protector’s report on review, paving the way for a disciplinary process against Motsoeneng. The damning report painted a bleak picture of maladministration and financial mismanagement at the public broadcaster, and how Motsoeneng misrepresented his qualifications and further increased his own salary exorbitantly.

Motsoeneng was on suspension at the time of the disciplinary hearing.

Kweyama said should Motsoeneng opt to appeal, his appeal cannot be based on his contract as he has been found to have violated his own SABC contract at the hearing.

The SABC interim board would brief media this afternoon, following reports that its former chief operating officer (COO) Hlaudi Motsoeneng has been found guilty on all charges at the public broadcaster’s disciplinary hearing which concluded last week.

Motsoeneng’s legal representative Zola Majavu said he has not seen the judgement.

“Neither myself nor my client have been given a copy of the judgement which the media seem to have, so until we are formally notified by the chair [of the disciplinary committee] as he indicated when we adjourned last Friday or by the employer , I am unable to comment,” Majavu said on Monday.

“I don’t have instructions but I find it strange that if indeed such a judgement is out that it would be shared with the media since early morning and yet the person affected by it is not informed. I leave the issue at that and still respect processes.”

The beleaguered Motsoeneng faced charges relating to an unauthorised media briefing he held two months ago, at which he criticised the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) interim board and praised himself on the good work he said he did while at the public broadcaster.

Motsoeneng’s fight with the SABC was further dealt a blow two weeks ago when his attempt to stop the disciplinary proceedings was thrown out by the Labour Court.

Various courts had previously found Motsoeneng’s appointment as COO to be unlawful.

A ruling by the Western Cape High Court in December last year, found that he was unfit to hold any office until such time a fresh disciplinary hearing cleared him of any wrongdoing, or if a court set aside the Public Protector’s report which implicated him in lying about his academic qualifications, purging staff, and giving himself generous salary increases.

The SABC rescinded its decision to take the Public Protector’s report on review, paving the way for a disciplinary process against Motsoeneng. The damning report painted a bleak picture of maladministration and financial mismanagement at the public broadcaster, and how Motsoeneng misrepresented his qualifications and further increased his own salary exorbitantly.

The interim board’s briefing is scheduled for 3pm.

– African News Agency (ANA)

Weekly Xposé
WeeklyXposé is an online newspaper with a mission to bring you stories that mainstream media would hesitate to bring to your screens over morning coffee. We highlight key issues plaguing our country and the world, while serving the best of entertainment and motoring news. Every week we will bring you an Xposé, something you won't find anywhere else. Keep watching this space and coming back for more.
http://www.weeklyxpose.co.za

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *