ARLIAMENT, April 3 – The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC), a government entity, was fully prepared to take over the e-Natis system from private operator Tasima following another court judgment in government’s favour, Transport Minister Joe Maswanganyi said on Monday in his maiden media briefing.
The National Assembly MP, who replaced Dipuo Peters in a midnight cabinet shuffle by President Jacob Zuma on March 30, welcomed the ruling.
“We are more than ready to take over e-Natis…,” said Maswanganyi.
In November last year, the Constitutional Court ruled the extension of government’s contract with Tasima unlawful and ordered the system be handed over to the RTMC within 30 days. Tasima argued more time was needed for the smooth migration of the system.
The RTMC then approached the high court in Pretoria which on Monday ordered Tasima to vacate the premises from which the system is run.
Maswanganyi said the department felt vindicated by the latest judgment, and accused Tasima of deliberately delaying the handover.
“The RTMC has since May 3, 2015 been ready to administer e-Natis. Their state of readiness has unreasonably been delayed and denied by Tasima, employing tactics informed by their desire to syphon money from the State,” the minister said.
“We remain resilient, undeterred and resolute in our commitment to compel Tasima to comply with the Constitutional Court decision handed down that Tasima should hand over the running of the e-Natis and associated services to the RTMC.”
– African News Agency (ANA)