Tzaneen Mediclinic

In The News South Africa

12 hospitalised for inhaling ammonia at avocado packing factory

TZANEEN – Twelve people are being treated at the Tzaneen Mediclinic after inhaling ammonia, ER24 said in a statement on Thursday.

ER24 spokesperson Annine Dormehl said the affected people were working at an avocado packing factory in Politsi just outside Tzaneen on Thursday morning.

She said an ammonia leakage overnight is believed to be the reason for the workers having difficulty breathing.

“At the time of their arrival, ER24 paramedics found three of the pack house workers lying on the ground as the rest of the workers were being evacuated from the building,” she said.

ER24 paramedics treated eight people on the scene with oxygen before they were taken to hospital.

Other emergency services were also on scene and treated a further four patients before transporting them to nearby hospitals.

Inhaling ammonia causes burning of the nose, throat and respiratory tract and can cause severe repiratory distress.

– African News Agency (ANA)

Weekly Xposé
WeeklyXposé is an online newspaper with a mission to bring you stories that mainstream media would hesitate to bring to your screens over morning coffee. We highlight key issues plaguing our country and the world, while serving the best of entertainment and motoring news. Every week we will bring you an Xposé, something you won't find anywhere else. Keep watching this space and coming back for more.
http://www.weeklyxpose.co.za

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *