TZANEEN – Twelve people are being treated at the Tzaneen Mediclinic after inhaling ammonia, ER24 said in a statement on Thursday.
ER24 spokesperson Annine Dormehl said the affected people were working at an avocado packing factory in Politsi just outside Tzaneen on Thursday morning.
She said an ammonia leakage overnight is believed to be the reason for the workers having difficulty breathing.
“At the time of their arrival, ER24 paramedics found three of the pack house workers lying on the ground as the rest of the workers were being evacuated from the building,” she said.
ER24 paramedics treated eight people on the scene with oxygen before they were taken to hospital.
Other emergency services were also on scene and treated a further four patients before transporting them to nearby hospitals.
Inhaling ammonia causes burning of the nose, throat and respiratory tract and can cause severe repiratory distress.
– African News Agency (ANA)