WASHINGTON, January 30 (Sputnik) – US President Donald Trump said that media have falsely reported that the steps undertaken by his administration in the sphere of migration are the so-called Muslim ban.
On Friday, Trump signed an executive order to block all refugees from coming to the United States for 120 days and suspended the entry for citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days, while also blocking the entry for all refugees from Syria for the undefined period. The move has been widely criticized by media outlets both in the United States and abroad.
“To be clear, this is not a Muslim ban, as the media is falsely reporting. This is not about religion – this is about terror and keeping our country safe. There are over 40 different countries worldwide that are majority Muslim that are not affected by this order,” Trump said Sunday.
He added that the Unites States is the “proud nation of immigrants: and promised to show compassion to the oppressed people, but protecting the citizens and borders of their own country.
“America has always been the land of the free and home of the brave. We will keep it free and keep it safe, as the media knows, but refuses to say,” the US president said.
The US leader said that his predecessor Barack Obama had also introduced temporary entry restrictions, adding that the countries listed in the Friday executive order had been identified as “sources of terror” by Obama’s administration.
Trump has been repeatedly criticized by media and rights group since the presidential campaign. During the race, the politician had made a number of controversial statements with regard to immigrants, Latin Americans, Muslims, and women. His statements included a ban on Muslims traveling to the United States.